Sunday, January 13, 2008

Recycled jewelry


Taking the metal from one piece of jewelry to rework (reuse) into a new piece is just one way to recycle metal. This process happens to be near and dear to me. I've used this process to make some truly sentimental pieces. I've used a ring from a deceased mother to make a pendant for the son. I believe that energy from the wearer lingers in the metal and that can make it even more precious. It can also be cathartic to make something new. Take a wedding ring from a divorce and change it into something new and full of life. The image above is a pendant I made from a ring. It was a diamond engagement ring given to her by her grandmother. We used the diamond for a new engagement ring and I made the keepsake heart pendant from the band.
Seriously, I LOVE this stuff.
On the topic of recycled jewelry...yesterday my dear friend Noah came to my studio to work on a piece for his skull a day blog project. I helped turn a 14k yellow and white gold wedding ring into a fabulous skull ring. He even illustrated the process (nerdy goodness!). See it here. We had a great time!
I hope this has given you some ideas for recycling your old jewelry.

1 comment:

mim said...

I love this. I'm going to pull out all of my old wedding rings...surely I can recycle them into somethings I'd wear. Only one marriage, just many rings, we like to change off. (smile)